Everything we do is imbued with our values or the values of the institution we operate in. With the issues of our time being increasingly polarised through the media and young people feeling the weight of global challenges it is important that the values we ‘talk and walk’ will help each other feel positive and act with care for each other and the planet.
This workshop will lead teachers and other school staff through what a whole school initiative of values-based education for sustainability could look like.
It asks the question, what values do we need to boost and how could we embed them?
- Participating teachers will:
- be introduced to social psychology theory of values and frames which can inform environmental action
- have chance to discuss the moral quandary of values and behaviour change in education
- analyse the school’s/institution’s vision or mission statement with consideration of future sustainability
- look at case studies which help them plan how to put this into practice
- be provided with activity ideas which introduce values for the future implicitly or explicitly into different subject lessons.
- When is best for this course?
- This workshop can take place at any time of the year
- It is useful to do this work when senior leadership is working with staff to introduce whole school initiatives or are updating policies, particularly relating to the environment and climate change
- Variable/ tailored to suit
- 90 minute after school CPD or half day inset
- Themes/ topics/areas:
- This work can be applied to all subjects and topics
- It is particularly relevant for project based learning and working on environmental and social initiatives such as Eco-schools, Plastic Free Schools or UN Rights Respecting Schools.
- Course cost:
- From £250 for a session for up to 15 members of staff